This page will contain up to date information about how Lubbock Meals on Wheels is working to continue to deliver meals to our clients in the safest way possible.
To apply to be a volunteer go to https://lubbockmealsonwheels.org/volunteer/
Lubbock Meals on Wheels’
COVID-19 Health & Safety Policy
Effective 6/29/2020 until further notice
In accordance with the City of Lubbock’s Eleventh Declaration of Disaster (COVID-19), Lubbock Meals on Wheels (LMOW) has developed this policy. This policy will go into effect at 12:01am on 6/29/20 and remain in effect until further notice.
- LMOW will facilitate and encourage practicing social distancing and good hygiene where feasible.
- All staff and office volunteers will wear face coverings when in an area or performing an activity which will necessarily involve close contact or proximity to co-workers or the public where six feet of separation is not feasible (ex. during cooler pick-up and drop-off).
Starting Monday, June 8th, we will re-open our doors
…with baby steps.
The drive-through for cooler pick-up will be closed.
We are excited to re-open our doors and invite you all in! We are going to continue with our measured approach and take things slowly. We will evaluate a week at a time until we go back to business as usual. Please take a minute to look over our first steps for re-opening. We can’t wait to see you all!
- Doors to the volunteer center will not be unlocked for cooler pick-up until 10:45am. (There will be no access to the volunteer center through the office door until 10:45am either.)
- The seating area in the volunteer center will be off limits…for now. You will only be able to access cookies, coffee, the bathrooms, and the coolers this first week.
- We will lock the doors to the volunteer center, again, at 11:15am. Please be sure to be here on time. If you are late, you will need to come in through the office doors.
- All cooler drop-off will be via the drive-through. (if you happen to return after 1:15pm, please come in through the office door.)
- All you will have to do is pick up your cooler(s), weekend sacks, pet food, etc. The route sheets will be on top of your coolers. We will continue to confirm the meal count in your coolers for now.
- If more than one person is delivering the route, please only send one person in to pick-up coolers. This will reduce over-crowding as we re-open.
Please continue to follow prescribed hygiene practices and hand washing protocols. Maintain social distancing as much as possible between yourself and our clients. Also limit the time spent in the client’s home. Do not volunteer/deliver if you feel that you are ill or have a fever.
Your support is greatly appreciated. If you have any questions, contact our office at 806.792.7971.
During these uncertain times, Lubbock Meals on Wheels is closely monitoring developments of the COVID-19 outbreak and following the guidelines put out by the CDC and the World Health Organization. It is our plan to continue to deliver meals. As always, we continue to follow prescribed hygiene practices and hand washing protocols in all areas of our operation. It is our standard policy to remind all volunteers not to volunteer/deliver if they feel that they are ill or they have a fever.
We thank you all for your generous responses to our plea for additional support.
LMOW has several contingency plans in place if we are unable to deliver as we usually do. If it becomes necessary, we can send out multiple meals at once and reduce the number of delivery days within a week. We have access to frozen meals and shelf stable meals if we should need to use those. We will keep you informed as changes happen.
Please remember to check on your elderly and vulnerable neighbors. Offer to help in any way that you can by doing things like running errands, providing a meal, or sharing supplies. Lubbock and Wolfforth are generous when it comes to taking care of those who need help in our communities.
Lubbock Meals on Wheels has created a wish list on Amazon. These are all items that will be sent to clients or their pets.
If you haven’t already picked a charity on Amazon Smile, consider picking Lubbock Meals on Wheels. We will get a percentage of every purchase you make when you go through Amazon Smile.